*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Way back when my mom made this for me and every once in awhile I remember to make it for us. I've been buying this fresh pasta at the grocery store lately - Giovanni Rana - it's in the cheese section of a few stores I've been to lately. It is SO delicious. We've had the Spaghetti, Tagliatelle (like Fettucini), Paglia e fieno (Green & White Fettucini), and the Giant Mushroom Ravioli. It's not really cheap compared to regular boxed pasta like Barilla (I think $2-3 for less than a pound), but it is so worth it. I've been buying a bag each week and I can't get enough of it. I'm not usually crazy about stuffed pastas from the grocery...I do get Mama Rosies cheese tortellini or ravioli, but it's just cheese and pretty good. The Mushroom Ravioli were so great...I just browned some butter and chopped sage and drizzled it on top and it was a huge hit. I'm going to try the artichoke ravioli next.

So, last night I made the Roasted Red Pepper sauce over the spaghetti...yum yum. Here's what I did...

3 Red Peppers
Tbl or so of olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
maybe 1/8 to a 1/4 cup light cream

1. Roast the red peppers in a 450 degree oven. I usually do this for about 45 minutes total, turning them now and then.
2. Once cooled, peel the peppers and tear them into strips, removing the seeds. Sometimes I roast them one day, put them in the frig and peel them the next day. That gives the juices time to really soak out.
3. Put the peeled peppers and juices into a mini-chopper and blend until mostly smooth.
4. Warm some olive oil and the garlic over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
5. Before the garlic browns, add pepper puree, add some salt to taste and cook for a few minutes.
6. Add the cream and cook for 1-2 minutes more and then turn off the heat.
7. Toss the pasta with the sauce in the pan so it's all coated.

Of course I ate it too fast to take a picture...

No comments: