*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, September 15, 2008

Shepards Pie & Molten Chocolate Cakes

Obviously, I did meal planning on a cool, rainy day and wasn't thinking of the hot, sticky day on which I'd be heating up my whole house baking. Oh well...it was worth it. The Shepards Pie was delicious...not exactly the consistency I prefer, but the flavor was so yummy. It called for Bison ground meat which my store and 1 other store didn't have for the first time in who knows how long. I used regular beef and combined it with the sauteed mushrooms and onions - this was perfect. The mashed potatoes were actually a combination of potatoes and cauliflower with parmesean and were really pureed, whereas I'm used to them being all potatoes and stiffer in texture. I was skeptical, but the flavor was really nice. Finally, I'm used to corn as the veggie and this recipe called for peas and carrots. Joe had 3 bowls. I finished mine wishing I had thought to grab a big french bread to lap up the sauce in the bowl. After MUCH complaining, Shelagh put the tiniest little bit in her mouth of the "mushed up french fries" and alas "I like it. I do". Thank you, Sam-I-Am. Rory, on the other hand, spent the rest of the night and into this morning grumbling..."I no like Shepards Pie. That's not good for the environment".

I followed this up with the Molten Chocolate cakes with Peanut Butter filling from Food & Wine. These were really easy to make and rich and yummy. I did overcook them a bit and I would probably try to make the peanut butter filling a little creamier so that it would melt a bit more (like the middle of a Lindt truffle with peanut butter where it just drizzles out). These would be a great dessert to serve when having people over as they are baked in individual ramekins and served warm. It was fun to spend a few hours working on these dishes with my helper, Shelagh, who happily crunched along with carrots and cauliflower and helped me stir and clean veggies.

No pictures unfortunately...My 1 yr old camera has a "lens error" which probably means it will cost more to repair than buy a new one. Newman.

No comments: