*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, April 25, 2011

Movie: The Kings Speech & 127 Hours

We watched The King's Speech this weekend.  We really liked the movie.  That said, I don't think it should have gotten Best Picture (note: I haven't seen all the Best Picture nominees yet).  I'm okay with it beating Social Network, Toy Story 3, Kids are All Right, The Fighter, and 127 Hours.  I think Inception and Winter's Bone were both better overall films though.  I still hope to see True Grit and Black Swam is on it's way via Netflix now. 

Colin Firth was really great and, I think, deserved the Academy Award for Best Actor.  In my mind, however, if James Franco had won for 127 Hours I wouldn't have been upset.  I really liked The Social Network, but I really don't think it's Best Picture or Best Actor material.  I've heard great things about Biutiful and True Grit, so I guess I should hold off on any final declarations.

Back to The King's Speech...I do not think Geoffery Rush or Helena Bonham Carter should have been nominated.  I enjoyed both of their performances, but not as best of the year.  I have seen all the Best Supporting Actor movies and Christian Bale was clearly the best choice.  For Best Supporting Actress, I thought Melissa Leo was good and should have beaten HBC and Amy Adams (whom I don't think warranted nomination).  Jacki Weaver was not prominant in Animal Kingdom, but in 2 scenes I thought she was serenely frightening and evil.  I guess I should see True Grit before I'm 100% on this one.

127 Hours was really amazing.  It must be so incredibly difficult to be in a movie essentially by yourself, a la Tom Hanks in Cast Away.  While I do think James Franco probably has similar personal qualities as Aron Ralston and there might be parts of the character that were not such a stretch, I was still really impressed by what it took him to pull this off.  The key scene was really tough to watch and actually I shut my eyes and didn't really watch it.  Ew.  I also would have loved some DVD extras on this, like an interview with the real Aron Ralston, a summary of where he is now (other than married with a child which was cool but not enough info!), what the girls he saw before he disappeared or his co-worker or family thought about while he was gone and when he returned, etc.

Looking forward to Black Swam coming on Netflix and both Kung Fu Panda 2 and Cars 2 coming to the theater soon!

No comments: