*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Shaved Asparagus with Parmesean Vinaigrette

This month's Bon Appettit has a new editor and a new look and I like it!  I read it cover to cover in 2 sittings and was happy.  I made this recipe by the authors of Canal House Cooking which is a beautiful cookbook series that I get and enjoy (I'm just realizing that Molly Wizenburg from Orangette was no in there...I wonder if her column is gone???).  The asparagus was a pain in the ass because you have to shave the asparagus spear by spear.  That said, with a few modifications, it was delicious and refreshing and would be a lovely, do-ahead side veggie if you're having people over.  Here's what I changed...
  • I blanched the asparagus.  I didn't really want a raw asparagus salad.  It seemed tough for that type of application.  Instead, I shaved the spears, dropped them into boiling, salted water for about 2 minutes and then into an ice bath to stop the cooking.  I returned to the empty blanching pot where I tossed them in the parmesean dressing.
  • I used maybe a little more than 1/2 the dressing and it was still a little too much, I think.  It can most definitely be reused on some other veggie.  Also, I think there was too much oil in the dressing.  It could be nice and a little sharper with some melted down anchovy, perhaps?

No comments: