*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, April 21, 2011

TV: What We're Watching

Still watching a variety of shows, but just haven't written about it in awhile.  We seem to be in a period-series kick right now...
  1. Pillars of the Earth mini-series - I read the book a couple of years ago and loved it.  I thought they did a pretty good job adapting this to screen.  My only criticism was that they portrayed Philip as all good, whereas in the book he really corrupted much more towards the end.
  2. Mildred Pierce mini-series - Both Joe and I enjoyed this.  I haven't seen the previous version nor read the book.  Kate Winslet is just heaven to watch.  Guy Pearce, whom I like, was fine.  Evan Rachel Wood played the spoiled brat child to perfection.  Enjoyed  Melissa Leo's performance as well - quite a departure from Mickey Ward's mom.  The costumes have got to win something.
  3. Camelot - New series on Starz that I'm really enjoying.  Liking the story, costumes great, the woman playing Morgan, King Arthur's half-sister, is fantastic.  The guy playing King Arthur, however, is like a little waif-y blonde teenager.  What were they thinking???  It hasn't ruined the show for me but it's really distracting.  Also, Joseph Fiennes is over playing Merlin a bit. 
  4. Game of Thrones - Saw the 1st episode of this new HBO show last  night and can't stop thinking about it.  I read a review on Pop Candy that it's really a lot of debauchery, not quite a show for the ladies, but I really liked it without considering the trashy parts.  You do have to pay attention to keep track of the families and how they inter-relate.  Looking forward to the next ep.
  5. Regular Comedies:  Modern Family, Office, Parks & Recreation, 30 Rock - Office is still dull this year.  Don't really care about Michael Scott leaving.  Just not that funny anymore, but hanging in there.  Loving the other 3.
  6. Top Chef Masters - Didn't watch last year, but enjoying this season.  Interesting watching the pro/seasoned chefs as compared to the newbies.  So glad Suvir didn't get sent home...I'm loving him and his style.
  7. Lights Out - This is boring me and we've let episodes delete.  I love FX, but this is just not that good.  I'm waiting anxiously for Sons of Anarchy to return.
  8. Friday Night Lights - Last season just started this past week and it's great to have Coach and the fam back!
  9. Me Only: HIMYM, Greys - F*&^ing sweeps - no new episodes in so long.
  10. On DVD: Big Bang Theory, Season 1 - Just started this a few weeks ago as back up if nothing is on.  Friend had recommended based on us having enjoyed Freaks & Geeks, and we're loving it.  Such a funny show.  Love nerd humor.
I really do a lot of other things...it just doesn't seem so when you look at the above list :)

1 comment:

Vicki J said...

For pure twisted silliness, try The Oblongs ~ voices by Will Ferrell, Jean Smart ~ v.funny!

XOXO,

Mom