*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Operation DEYIAB Status

After 2 weeks of going vegan, with 2 days allowance for cheating b/c of eating out/holiday plans, I've lost 4 lbs and seem to have wrangled my out of control the snacking on crap problem.  I've managed to eat only 1 creme egg, 1 Peep, and 1 mini chocolate egg for all of Easter - which is a MAJOR MIRACLE.  Usually I start snacking on the candy pre-Easter and then pilfering out of the kids baskets post-Easter.  Anyway, my anal retentive personality has kicked in and I'm completely micro-managing my intake and journaling my food and exercise online.  Annoying over time, but good for right now until I reach my goal.

I've decided to make some modifications as the pure vegan way is not going to work for an extended period of time.  I just can't cook the veggies fast enough.  I'm now shifting things a bit:
  • Still no butter, milk, cream cheese, egg yolk, and extraneous cheese (Still need a sprinkle of parmesan here and there).  I tried Soy Milk and it's totally fine for my coffee.  Not crazy about it in my cereal, but that's okay.  This is taking a lot of fat out of my diet which should help the cholesterol.  Making a physical appt for June still.
  • Small portions of meat for dinner only.  I've done about 3-4oz chicken and pork the last couple of nights.  At least it's a lower carb protein.  The beans are good protein, but more carbs. 
  • Minimal starchy carbs.  Pasta is a serious downfall for me.  I could eat more than half a box in a sitting if I'm hungry enough or I eat it fast enough.  I actually measured out my pasta last night and was surprisingly satisfied.  I ended up with 3-4 oz lean pork chop, 1/2 cup+ pasta with pesto, steamed green beans, and about a 1/2 cup of leftover shaved asparagus.
  • No sweets.  This is big.  Joe and I both would have a sweet after the kids were in bed - ice cream, cookies, etc.  I'm managing to sit next to him and ignore him eating the sweets and have not buckled.  Also, no stash at work.  I usually have 1 - 3 Trader Joe's chocolate sweets in my desk drawer.  But, like an alcoholic, I can't stop at 1 and it's a fast spiral downward.
My work is having a Summer Shape Up Challenge so I joined a team and am tracking my choices there too.  Having to document it all helps.  I'd like to lose about 5-9 more lbs, if possible.  Not sure it is b/c I don't see my exercise increasing more than the 2x/week I'm at now.  However, some friends from the pool are starting up with tennis so I'm going to try to do that.

No comments: