*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Books: Sarahs Key & Watchmen

I enjoyed this book so much - it was a rec from my mom. It was very intense and sad, but I couldn't put it down. So much so that with only a few chapters left when I finished the elliptical today, I sat down on the floor at the gym and finished it. Totally choked up at the gym...embarrassing. It's about the round-up of Jewish families in Paris by the French police doing the bidding of the Germans. In the first chapter, a little girl locks her brother in their secret hiding place so that he is safe assuming she'll be back to let him out later. You can imagine the heartbreaking and inevitable result. Simultaneously, it's about an American journalist living in Paris years later and how she discovers this girls story. Anyway, it's by Tatiana de Rosnay and I recommend it highly.

I'm finishing Watchmen today also. I've really liked this one too and can't wait to see the movie. Unfortunately, I'm picturing the actors as I'm reading, but as much as I can distinguish between the 2, I'm thinking the casting was well done. This is my 2nd foray into Graphic Novels. I can't say I'm a total convert but I've been impressed with the 2 series I've read - Watchmen & Y: The Last Man.

No comments: