*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Friday, April 17, 2009

Trader Joes Convert

I've avoided getting into the Trader Joes craze for quite some time now. The main reasons are
  1. I don't usually buy already prepared foods...I'd rather make most things myself both for taste reasons and because I like to know what I'm eating.
  2. It's a total pain in the ass to go to multiple grocery stores, especially with 3 kids now.

However, my mom turned me on to the Jasmine Green Tea they sell there, which I love and my friend turned me on to the Peanut Butter Cups which are heavenly. Combine that with the stress of trying to make a fast, home-cooked meal on a work day after picking up 2 kids at day care and I've started to cut some corners and incorporate a little prepared food into my repetoire. Each time I visit TJ's I discover a new thing that I'm happy with and will start buying. Here's my list of the things I really love there...

  • Meatballs: Party-sized & Regular - I used to be adamant about making my own meatballs, but since I cannot manage to make them round (see post on triangular meatballs) and since Rory eats so few things, I relented and bought the party sized meatballs for him to eat with toothpics. They are great. I think it's the beef & pork mixture.
  • French Onion Soup: I make really rich and delicious French Onion soup, but it takes awhile with all the onions you have to cut. TJs had a box of 2 soups that come with the baguette and cheese and just bake for 40 minutes. With a salad it's a good dinner for Joe and I on a work night.
  • Pesto Sausage: Rory loves these. They are chicken and turkey with pesto and he can eat a ton of them.
  • Mango & Peach juices: Just so good... We don't drink a lot of juice in our house, but this is a treat.
  • Vanilla Almond Crunch Granola: Really yummy...Joe eats this all the time - so does Shelagh.
  • Peanut Butter Granola bars: Delish. I like a chewy, not crunchy, granola bar and these are perfectly chewy with a layer of peanut butter something-or-other on the top.
  • Snickerdoodle & Chocolate Chip frozen cookie dough: Joe gave up ice cream and chocolate for lent so he was craving fresh cookies at night. These are easy to pop in the toaster oven and delicious.
  • Fish Sticks: Kids love these.
  • cheap olive oil & honey & nuts: Olive oil is so expensive, but you can get a liter bottle there for $8-9.
  • jarred peaches & pears: In juice, not syrup, and yummy. Shelagh, Rory, and I can polish off a whole jar in one sitting.

That's it for now...I'm sure there will be more.

4 comments:

Betsy said...

I was a HUGE TJ fan when we lived in MA. Loved their prepared stuff and their wine selection. Alas, there are no TJ's in Colorado which irks me on a weekly basis.

PopMom said...

They don't sell wine in the one by me! What a bonus that would be! Yes, I'm nursing with one hand and drinking with the other :)

GreenStyleMom said...

A friend and I actually make a 5 hr road trip to Sante Fe and go to TJs. We call it a girls getaway, but it is really just to stock up.

Always on my list are the chocolate covered raspberry jellies, chocolate covered sunflower seeds (I use them in cookies instead of chocolate chips), the pre-cooked wild rice, chocolate syrup, whole wheat honey pretzels, mini ravioli, lavender dryer sachets, and a multi-grain pilaf. And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head!

Concerned Shareholders of Parsons Village said...

OK ~ This is a confession from the embarrassed chef (so don't tell anyone) The HUMMUS(es)are really good! And the salsa tastes like you just made it ~{:o? The Multi-Grain Pretzel Nuggets are terrific (so the next time we bring them up which would be the 6th or 8th time we have) TASTE them ~ they're great!