*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Kellys 1st Hospital Visit (She's OK)

It was bound to happen...I'm pretty sure I had the flu last week. Fever, chills, dizziness, chest cold, head cold...you name it. I felt like ass. This is the 2nd time I've been super sick since Kelly has been born and it's amazing it took this long for her to catch something (between that and Rory snotting on her and sneezing and coughing on her). She was totally fine all day and then Joe said last night she felt really hot. Lo and behold she had 101.2 and the pediatrician sent us to the ER. So, off I went at 1030pm and did not return until 530am this morning.

As a rule, they do a 1) urine test, 2) blood test, and 3) spinal tap. Yes, you read that right. A spinal tap. This is b/c she is less than 3 months with what is considered a high fever for an infant. After talking to Joe I questioned the Dr and he agreed that other than feeling hot, Kelly looked totally fine and that maybe we could see what the other tests revealed first. Good thing, b/c it took 3 tries on the catheter for the urine test and they ended up bagging her instead. It then took 3 tries to get the blood. Poor thing screamed through all the poking and prodding. Otherwise, she was an angel - smiling and cooing at all the nurses and drs, especially for being awake for 4 hours straight. Then she passed out on me and I had to wait until she peed (2 hours) and then for the results (another hour).

As expected, she is fine, probably has my flu, and checked out perfectly with no fever at the dr this afternoon. I got about 3 hours of sleep this morning and am about to pass out.

2 comments:

MaggieBrown said...

OOOHH, been there done that, which is why I had to comment. Possibly you could keep your kids from getting sick with this great program my daughter learned at daycare: Germy Wormy Germ Smart Kids. Your older ones would learn in a mom-invented, fun and drug-free way how to both avoid AND keep from spreading germs that cause flus and colds. If they're in school, tell their teachers about it!

http://germywormy.com

Betsy said...

I also had the girls change their clothes when they got home from school so as not to spread too many germs when Sadie was a baby. Glad to hear she is OK...those visits are not fun. I was just at the ER with Sadie on Tuesday night..she stuck at bead up her nose. Good times.