*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Braised Cabbage

A girlfriend of mine gifted me with a cookbook I've wanted for some time now - All About Braising by Molly Stevens. I've been reading it from the beginning and just got through the vegetable section. Everything looks so good I've dog-eared most of the recipes. Last night I tried Braised Cabbage and it was really yummy and super easy.

Basically, it goes as follows:
  1. Oil a baking dish and preheat oven to 325.
  2. Cut cabbage into 8 wedges and form a single layer in the dish
  3. Thickly slice an onion and slice circles from 1 carrot and sprinkle over cabbage.
  4. Drizzle 1 1/2 Tbl oil over cabbage, 1/4 cup broth, salt & pepper and tightly cover with foil.
  5. Braise for 1 hour and turn the cabbage over careful not to break wedges apart.
  6. Braise for another hour and then remove foil, season with more salt, 1 1/2 Tbl balsamic vinegar, and raise oven temp to 400.
  7. Roast for 15 minutes and then serve.

The slow braise removes the harshness of the cabbage. I didn't salt enough, but overall the dish was really good and cabbage is a cheap vegetable if you need to spend little on groceries for a particular week.

There are seriously a million recipes in this book I want to make. I'm going to try the braised fingerling potatoes and leek recipe with a ham this weekend.

Update: It is even better the next day. I just had it for lunch and it's good cold and hot.

No comments: