*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Movie: Inglorious Basterds

Joe and I watched this latest Tarantino movie this past weekend. It came in at 2 1/2 hours. Classic Tarantino - check. Blood and super-gross body chopping scenes - check. Decent music - check. Good cast - check. All in all, I'd say it's good but not amongst his best.

Once again, point of reference on Q T. Here is how I'd rank his films...
  1. Natural Born Killers
  2. Resevoir Dogs
  3. Pulp Fiction
  4. Kill Bill
  5. True Romance - I haven't seen this in awhile, maybe it would be higher, but hard to say.
  6. From Dusk to Dawn (Joe continues to make fun of me for liking this movie, but I did. Same for Desperado. I just liked them. Can't explain why.).

Not so much

  1. Jackie Brown
  2. Didn't care to see Grindhouse

My thoughts on Inglorious Basterds:

  • I did not love Brad Pitt in this movie. For a team of rogue Jewish American soldiers sent over to assassinate Nazi's, why the Southern Hick team leader? Didn't work for me. I love BP usually, but take him or leave him this time.
  • The ending was kick ass awesome. You never see an "alternative ending" to a WWII movie and this one was the bomb. GO, my people!
  • The heroine, Shoshanna, was awesome and the reason the ending was so cool - she had a wizard behind the curtain moment that was goose-bumpy. Clearly she was the best actor in the film.
  • Eli Roth represented Bostons accent well (so said Joe). I think he might be from Boston, but all I could think about while watching him was that he wrote Hostel (which was one of the grossest - but still good - movies I've ever seen) and that he looks so much like Zachary Quinto it's creepy (Sylar from Heroes and Spock in the new Star Trek movie).
  • Happy to see BJ Novak (Ryan the intern) from the Office get a nice bit part. He did well. Dry and effective.
  • Didn't see the trademark QT cameo - did I miss it?
  • As has been written about primarily in relation to this movie, Christoph Waltz, who plays the main Nazi, was so uncomfortably evil and unsettling. You'd think that was a given in Nazi movies, but he did stand out. A shining star along with the Shoshanna character.

That's it for now. Next up on the queue is Brotherhood Season 3, Observe and Report, and Julie and Julia.

No comments: