*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, January 11, 2010

Movie: Observe and Report

Continuing on my pledge to post more culture bits and try to write something about each movie we've seen...

Observe and Report with Seth Rogan was good, but not great, I'd say. It's a dark comedy and certainly had a few laughs and a few WOW-caught-me-off-guard moments. I do like Seth R and have enjoyed pretty much everything else he's been in - I don't think he's acting much - I think he just has funny mannerisms and his voice and tone are funny.

Ray Liotta was in it and I've concluded that he hasn't done much of anything decent since Good Fellas. I just confirmed that on IMDb (unless you count Operation Dumbo Drop as something solid). Now, talk about hitting it out of the park....but not much since then. The part he had in O & R could have been anyone - it bums me out to see someone that does such a phenomenal job in a beloved movie then have crappy bit parts playing boring, nondescript characters. Poor Henry Hill.

Anna Faris is in this also. I haven't seen her in much - didn't see the Scary Movies and hadn't really heard of her until her guest stint on Entourage. She's supposed to be notable in The House Bunny, but I can't bring myself to watch that movie about a playboy model and sorority house. I'm not sorority-biased (go UVM Pi Phi!), but the whole concept of sororities is always portrayed so badly in movies. Just seems silly.

Anyhoo, I'd say watch it if it's on, but don't bump it up your Netflix list or anything. I would like to mention that Netflix rules, if I haven't made note of that in awhile. I had Star Wars Phantom Menace at the top of my list as available and no wait. The local distribution center didn't have it, so they sent me Observe & Report instead and then ALSO sent me Star Wars from another center even though my DVD quota was already met. Extra DVD. How nice is that? We recently reduced from 3 at a time to 2 at a time and with a TV show and 1 movie home, it's nice not to waste our movie slot with something we need to make time to watch with the kids.

No comments: