*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Happy Birthday, my Sweet 6-yr old Nephew

I cannot believe my nephew is 6 today. It seems like yesterday that I was sitting up all night holding him so my sister and brother-in-law could get a good nights sleep only 2 weeks or so after he was born. I didn't have to stay up all night, but I could not take my eyes off of him, nor could I bear to put him down. I just stared at him all night long and touched his little fingers and toes and lips. Never has a child looked so exactly like his parent (my BIL) and what a sweet angel baby he was. No matter how long it has been since I've seen him or how far apart I have lived from him, he has always greeted me like we saw each other everyday.

My sister is younger than me; but she was married before me and became a mother before me. At that time I remember never having felt as much pride and awe as when I watched her holding her son for the first time. We don't see eye to eye some of the time, but all of that melted away when she became a mother and I saw her in a whole new light.

I remember being pregnant with Shelagh and actually wondering if I would love my baby as much as I loved my nephew, who was 2 when Shelagh was born. I hadn't really had any babies in my life since my youngest sister was born. I think at the time, as an adult, I was so surprised about this whole other category of love that I hadn't experienced before. I was blown away and actually didn't know if it was possible to feel more. Of course, when Shelagh was born it was an overwhelming and amazing love that you feel when you become a mother that is indescribable and my doubt disappeared. But, there is always a place in my heart for my nephew who opened up this secret supply of love that I didn't know I had. Happy Birthday, J!

No comments: