*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Rejiggering the Home Theater System

We finally installed our A/V shelving on the wall thanks to Joe and my brother in law. Followed by having successfully given away the huge A/V Shelving unit that took up the whole corner of our living room. Unfortunately, this meant we actually had to unplug and figure out how to reinstall the whole home theater system. Normally this would scare the shit out of me, but, happily, when we originally set it up I mapped the whole mess with color-coding in Microsoft Visio (my tech-geek side is coming out now, I realize). There was a little part of me that was kind of excited to unplug everything and then plug it all back in correctly. We all have to get our jollies somehow!

Other than the frustration of getting the cords all weaved within the hiding spot for cords (we have a million cords and really thick Monster cables at that) and of Joe and I manuevering on a ladder and step stool respectively with a headlamp, a flashlight, and contorted necks and arms while the kids were yelling for the Peanuts Easter Beagle movie (seriously), all went fine with some minor bickering and 1 major exception. No sound for the DVD player. Disaster of all disasters...how on earth would we feed our Netflix habit WITHOUT SOUND! We wisely pushed a chair in front of the horror that was the cord pile and hoped the kids wouldn't play on the ladder and gave up for 2 days.

I'm happy to report that after reviewing the setup section in the receiver manual and talking with my friend at work who just bought the same brand receiver, we moved 1 plug back there and TA-DA! SOUND! We celebrated by watching 2 movies across Tuesday night and Wednesday night. See next post for details. I will update this with a picture of the cord nightmare just b/c it's ridiculous and needs to be shared.


UPDATE: Here's the picture of the cords...ridiculous.

No comments: