*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Meal Planning wk of 3/22

I've been slacking off and cooking my standbys a lot lately. I really need to plan better or else I'm stressing about what to make the kids every night while driving home. Not that it matters since Rory has hijacked dinner as a whole meal.

Friday - Shrimp, Snow Peas, & Pasta - Joe wanted fish for Good Friday, so I picked up some shrimp and whipped this up randomly. Sauteed the snow peas, added the shrimp, added some garlic and broth, added the pasta and a bit of the pasta water for more sauce. Came out great and even got Shelagh to try a shrimp. She didn't like it, but I gave her a few M&Ms for trying something new.
Saturday - Roast Beef, Rice w/ onions & mushrooms, pureed squash - Also picked up a nice sirloin roast for a Roast beef dinner. I season it with just salt, pepper, and paprika (flashback to childhood - thank you, mom) and roasted it at 450 for a 1/2 hr or so, then dropped it to 375 for another 20 minutes. Came out pretty good. I still like the Tri-Tip as a roast beef the best, but this was a good alternative. Shelagh loves squash pureed with some butter and brown sugar so I made that with my normal rice mixed with sauteed chopped onions and mushrooms. Used Jasmine white rice instead of Sushi rice. Rory ate the roast beef! Although, he wouldn't eat his...only mine was good enough. That's okay...as long as he ate something!
Sunday - Easter dinner at my Sister in Laws (yummy) - She had a huge ham, rack of lamb, creamed spinach (which was awesome), salad with a super good raspberry vinagrette, and roasted potatoes. The kids ate first (or didn't eat in Rory's case), so it was a nice relaxing dinner for the grown ups!
Monday - Pork Chops, Escarole sauteed w/ garlic, sweet potato ravioli (I made these a couple of months ago and they were ok, but I should finish them); Kids: leftover ham, rice, peas
Tuesday - Shrimp, Pasta, & Spinach if it's still good; Kids: leftover pork chop, sweet potato ravioli, peas again
Wednesday - Osso Bucco, roasted Brussel Sprouts, roasted potatoes(?) - My mom brought up the Osso Bucco the last time she was up - I'm home on Wednesdays, so I think I'll braise them slow while the kids nap; Kids: leftover ham again probably - we have a ton from Easter
Thursday - Chicken Thighs, Roasted Cauliflower, Baked Beans - The bean recipe is from one of my cooking magazines and involves soaking dried beans overnight first. I've not cooked from dried beans before, so I'll give this a whirl. Joe doesn't really like chicken thighs, so I may try to slow cook them on Wednesday and then shred them. Kids: Annies Mac & Cheese

I also have stuff to make a lasagna, which I haven't made all winter, so I'll at least make the sauce and saute the sausage on Wednesday while I'm home. Monday and Tuesday meals are easy, but Wednesday will be a good cooking day.

No comments: