*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Meal Planning wk of 2/9

Just realized I never posted this...I did flip through recipes to make my shopping list on Friday though...Here are last weeks results and this weeks plan:

Last Weeks Results
  • Turkey & White Bean Chili (from Everyday Food) - This was just ok...the turkey was too dry in my opinion - to do this again, I'd need to mix the ground turkey with either pork or dark turkey meat I would think. Too much liquid too.
  • Sausage & Peppers w/ Polenta; This came out surprisingly good. It was from Real Simple magazine - it had only a few ingredients and didn't take long to make. I used that roll polenta they sell in the international section of the store. It was really good and I'll definintely experiment with it more. I sauteed it in olive oil and added salt...that's it! It was so good and I bet it would be awesome as an appetizer with a cool cheese sprinkled on top, sauteed shallots or onions, or mushrooms maybe.
  • Steak, quinoa, asparagus; The steaks were crappy. I'm done with the butcher shop I bought this from...they have great steak tips, but both the sirloin steak and the rib eye were not good. All I did was broil them, which I usually do, but I could taste the difference...it was just nothing. Had escarole instead of the asparagus and either pasta or wheat rice insead of the quinoa which I have yet to try.
  • Shrimp, wheat rice or pasta like a scampi, broccolini; Sauteed the shrimp with some snow peas and had with wheat rice. It's easy to keep shrimp in the freezer since you can defrost it under running cold water in like 5 minutes.
This Weeks Plan
  • Saturday - Out to dinner. Kids had chicken and fries.
  • Sunday - Made a leg of lamb, mashed potatoes, and asparagus for all of us. Got the Braised Boneless Leg of Lamb with 20 Garlic Cloves recipe from my favorite meat cookbook called The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly. This is my go-to book for any kind of roast - beef, pork, lamb. It's just great. Everything is easy and nothing has come out bad. It was so good.
  • Monday - Chicken Stroganoff w/ Salad or ; Kids - Turkey Cutlets, Mashed potatoes (Shelagh just decided after 3 1/2 yrs that she likes them after I bribed her with M & Ms to try them. I knew it...how could you not like mashed potatoes?? Rory won't eat them, but he usually only eats 1 of the 3 things on his plate anyway...it will not deter me from putting it on his plate and then eating it myself off his plate later)
  • Tuesday - Leftovers; Kids - Turkey Cutlets
  • Wednesday - Garlicky Pork Ribs on Greens - think I bought bok choy...it called for Collard Greens, but Collards are one of the few vegetables I don't like. Kids - Chicken Sausage maybe
  • Thursday - Salmon, Brussel Sprouts, Quinoa & Wheat rice; Kids - Quesadillas? Rory ate black beans the other night for the first time in a long time so I'll have to try that again quick before he forgets he likes them.
  • Friday - Mexican restaurant with friends w/ kids

No comments: