*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Saturday Date Night: Gaslight

Joe and I went out for an early Valentines dinner to a restaurant in the South End of Boston called Gaslight. There was a nice write-up in Boston Magazine and I've heard it was pretty good from a few different people. The restaurant itself had a nice atmosphere - beautiful lighting, nice tiles, etc. Overall, the food was really good and the service was lacking. It was well priced - all the entrees were less than $20 and the bill was not much after apps, entrees, dessert, and wine.


We started with escargot and a smoked salmon plate. The escargot was delicious...dripping in butter, garlic, and chopped parsley. There was no bread on the table and I didn't see any around on other tables so I didn't ask - my bad. Huge mistake not to ask b/c there is nothing better than dipping your bread in the leftover escargot drippings. Yum. After they took it away, she realized we were missing our bread. I wished she hadn't even said anything b/c then it was in my head. The smoked salmon was surrounded by chopped red onion, chopped egg, and capers and was topped with creme fraiche. It was very good but the proportions were off...too little salmon, too much creme fraiche. Good flavors though.

I had the Duck confit with garlic braised escarole and roasted herbed potatoes. I usually get duck at a Bistro/French restaurant b/c I never cook it at home (Joe doesn't like it and it's a pain to find usually) and I was so glad I got it here. It fell off the bone, was crispy on the outside and had a rich and yummy orange glaze. The potatoes were fine - nothing special but good. I was so looking forward to the escarole - you don't usually see it on menus. It was missing salt and I had to salt it several times...it was cooked well, but the lack of salt brought it down a notch. Generally, I was pleased though and the duck made up for the lack of pizazz in the sides.

Joe got a cuban sandwich made with fontina on a crusty looking roll with fries. I probably should have tasted it - we usually share, but I just loved mine and didn't want to mix the flavors. He loved it and was glad he got it. Usually he would have gotten lamb, but I'm making that for dinner tonight and unlike me, he doesn't like to eat the same thing 2 days in a row. We shared a carafe of Syrah to go with it which was really nice as well. I actually drank more than 1 glass plus my sparking wine starter. Big night for me! Usually I top out at 1-2 drinks and don't finish the second in favor of dessert.

For dessert we each got a decaf cappucino, Joe got creme brulee, and I got the molten chocolate cake with a vanilla sauce. The cappucinos were perfect. My chocolate cake was heavenly...really gooey inside and semi-sweet and well matched with the sauce. I didn't try Joes dessert b/c I have a problem with creme brulee...it's a texture thing...I don't like flan and only like certain kinds of pudding. I'm feeling mealy-mouthed just thinking about it.

All in all, a good meal and it was great to get out and have some time alone with Joe. We were actually supposed to go with friends, CT and PT, but CT got sick and they couldn't make it. They would have really liked the place and we haven't seen them in awhile. Plus, Joe told me that the original plan was for CT and I to get massages first while Joe and PT had drinks and then we were heading to the restaurant. How perfect would that have been???? ...Newman.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I don't get it? So you can go out some place - without the kids? Weird. We need to try that.