*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Movie: A Mighty Heart

We watched A Mighty Heart on Friday night. We both enjoyed it and thought Angelina Jolie did a wonderful job along with all the supporting cast. That being said, I didn't think it was worth the Golden Globe nomination. There was one incredibly moving scene when she finds out that her husband didn't make it (yes...I bawled), but I don't think that was enough for the nomination. It's movies like this that make me realize how apathetic I am about what is going on around me in the world (for more examples of this phenomenon see also Blood Diamond, Hotel Rwanda, and The Last King of Scotland). I knew about Daniel Pearl being held captive for a month, but I had no idea how hard Marianne Pearl and the other journalists and local police worked together to trace him and his contacts. Nor did I realize how close they came to getting to him before he was executed. It was a moving story and you just feel devasted for Marianne Pearl and their son, Adam, who was born a couple of months afterwards. It was a tad too long, but I suppose it's hard to cut things out when you are telling a true story; especially one adapted from a book written by the person going through it. Also, when you are dealing with a movie taking place in a foreign country with foreign names, it's harder to follow (this also happens to me with books where I make up my own pronunciation for foreign names and usually skip them all together). I highly recommend it.

As much as I should take this feeling of apathy and decide moving forward to be better about reading the newspaper, I won't. I will continue to waste my Sunday away reading Entertainment Weekly and People. And, my camp alumnae newsletter. And, playing with my kids and our nieces who slept over last night. And, watching Cars and Super Why with my kids. Productive.

No comments: