*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Picky Eater

Rory has not had 1 bite of dinner in 4 days. How did I end up with this picky eater???? Shelagh is a fantastic eater. She will complain and she certainly would prefer to eat nothing but Annies Mac & Cheese; but, ultimately, she will try anything and usually likes most of what she tries. Rory, on the other hand, has a few things that he just loves and won't even look at anything else, let alone try it. He eats a variety of breakfast foods and lunch isn't usually too bad. He loves most fruit. Clearly, the kid is generally healthy and not in any danger of being malnurished. He is, however, driving me insane.

When Shelagh was a baby, I made all of her baby food. I gave her a great variety of stuff and kept giving it to her and I think this helped her develop a varied sense of taste. When Rory came along, Shelagh was only 19 mos old. I made some of his food and I used jars for some. I didn't really stick with the variety though - just too busy with 2 babies. For awhile there, he was just as good as her. I could put ANY vegetable in rice or mashed potatoes or pasta and he'd happily eat it. Now, he's got xray vision and can spot a pea buried in anything from a mile away. I did read recently that there is a component to kids taste buds that is predetermined. So, for example, you might be predisposed to having a strong tolerance for bitter foods or for sweet foods. That's all well and good, but even when I give Rory dipping sauces like apricot jam or ketchup or cheese, he doesn't go for it. I wonder how much my methods with Shelagh shaped her tastes and how much was just her natural preferences?

No comments: