*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Yummy Dinner

Since we were home today I decided to make the ham dinner. I loved it, although trying to enjoy my meal while Shelagh was falling off her chair and playing and Rory was crying almost ruined it.
The ham was a bone-in quarter spiral sliced ham that weighed in at about 4 lbs. It had a lot of flavor and didn't dry out at all. I think the brand was Carando. I cooked it per The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly - just 325 for 30 minutes or so. Then, I coated the outside of the ham with a 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar, raised the heat to 425, and cooked for 20 more minutes. I made a vanilla maple sauce on the side which was one of the sauces they recommended. Yummy. On the side is the carmelized shallot mashed potato recipe from Bon Appetit March and an older Bon Appetit recipe for the Brussel Sprout hash with lemon juice and poppy seeds. Shelagh asked for 2nds of Brussel Sprouts before touching the ham or potatoes. This kid definintely takes after me in the vegetable department, THANK GOD! Rory did not have 1 bite of dinner again. And he LIKES ham!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Found you via FFN's MA moms list. I have 4 girls-one redhead. :) I'm starving now and wishing I could be eating some of this delicious ham dinner. :)

PopMom said...

Thx! I've now almost single-handedly eaten the remainder of this ham dinner over the last few days.