*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Movie: Gone, Baby, Gone

We watched this last night with my parents (they are up visiting). This was based on a book by Dennis Lehane who wrote Mystic River also. It was intense and wonderful. I find it so hard to watch movies about children since I've had kids...the thought of your child being taken is just too much to even think about. I was hesitant to watch this b/c of that, but I was able to watch it mostly without being too torn up...the focus was not on the child per se but on following the trail to her. I definintely had moments of being nauseated watching Amy Ryan play a terrible mother and neglect her daughter. She's in the Wire so I was happy to see her cast in this and get so recognized (Oscar nom for Best Supporting). She did a great job - I hope she wins. Casey Affleck was great also...nice to see him getting some juicy roles. The Assassination of Jesse James (for which he was nominated as well) is next on our Netflix list. Ed Harris was in it and Morgan Freeman who were awesome as usual. This was Ben Afflecks first time directing and I think he just did such a good job. I'm glad to see him shake his I've-done-too-many-movies-everyone-is-sick-of-me thing. Highly recommended.

No comments: