*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Tough Morning

Lots of tantrums, lots of unreasonable behavior from the kids and from me. I used to have a lot of patience. I'm not sure where it went, but it was no where to be found this morning. It all started when Shelagh accidentally popped me in the nose while I was helping her get her PJs back on. It was a complete accident but it really hurt. I tried to grit my teeth, but it didn't work and all hell broke loose. Nothing significant, just silliness and then it was 2 tantrums from her followed by one from Rory later (I think his was a sympathy tantrum...he's starting to copy her). And, me scolding them, snapping at Joe, and crying about it b/c my stupid nose hurt.

Yes, I was crying all morning (not out loud, but still tearing). What a goober I can be sometimes. I think what really upset me was that I was so irritated and annoyed, but really there was nothing worth getting so worked up over. I have 2 wonderful, healthy kids and I'm too controlling. I need to learn to relax and let things go. How do people do that??? All I was thinking about was how on earth moms that have kids with special needs or other real issues keep their cool. They have real, daily, complicated challenges to deal with. The few moms I know that are in this situation do have endless supplies of patience and a well of kindness from which to draw. Sometimes I'm a real shit.

3 comments:

Dan said...

I'm sure we've all had those mornings. This would be a good time to share one of Erin's all time great quotes:

I'm on the phone with her from work, the kids do something the shouldn't,Erin says hold on and yells..."What are you doing! You guys are getting into trouble because I'm not watching you!"

Great quote.

Dan said...

Plus, it could be worse.

Your kids could decide that they want to make the living room into a hockey rink, complete with red lines, blue lines, face-off circles, using marker on the carpet (markers that, although do not indicate they are permanent, have yet to come out).

That's always nice.

Betsy Bellissimo said...

Here's a good one...last night as I am reading the gossip websites about Britney's further dive into madness, Sadie is climbing up the stairs and falls. Lots of blood from her nose and mouth. Honestly, at times I feel like my kids are one step away from becoming Sean Preston and Jaden James.