*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Friday, January 11, 2008

Being Greener - The Little Things

I thought of a few more things I've been doing to be a bit more aware.

  • Joe got me a water bottle to refill instead of all the plastic individual bottles. I actually have a problem not drinking enough water so maybe this will kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Not likely.
  • When I wash my hands in public bathroom, I try not to use the paper towels to dry. It seems like such a waste when you see a trash can full of sort of wet/sort of dry towels. It helps to have a huge mane of big hair to dry them in instead.
  • I'm REALLY trying to cut down on my Ziploc bag usage. This is tough b/c the snack bag is the best thing when you have little kids.
  • I've been recycling batteries. This actually takes a trip to the dump, which I happen to drive by often. I'm particularly proud of this one.

Couple more things to add...

  • Unplugging things not being used (not appliances b/c that is too much of a pain in the ass and I can be lazy at times) like the cell phone chargers.
  • Trying not to use the stirrers for coffee, especially when it's a full plastic straw and not a wood stick.

3 comments:

friar93 said...

good stuff. Im on the same page w/ the green. Maybe its my nutty mom but I have this 'green guilt' thing going on where I notice things that are such blatent and obvious waste. some others for you:

I hate when my kids waste 14 paper towels to clean up a piece of rice(cant they just eat it?)....wife"theyre like 1 cent each"...she doenst have 'the guilt'

I feel bad about running the shower in the morning to get hot water... and my wife still leaves it running to brush teeth...cant I divert it to water the grass or something?

I swear I wouldnt buy things that come with styrofoam or peanut packaging if it was stated on the label(what a pain in the ass that stuff is)...cant you start a movement to make companies decalre that?

wife thinks its about being cheap(huh? nothing else we do is cheap and why then would it make me mad then to see the neighbors throw huge piles of unrecycles boxes out while I spend time ripping them apart?). its about the guilt. keep the dream alive

JT

Dan said...

I'm not sure why,actually I do know why, but I haven't gone green yet. I think it's my overall philosophy to stay away from everything and anything that is the hip thing to be into or whatever the rest of the world seems to enjoy - American Idol, Reality shows, Nickelback, the Spears family saga, Suri Cruise - It's my WWLDD philosohy I guess. The only problem is that LD is actually an environmentalist - although only because he's a big tuna fish fan.

Anyway, New Years Day I woke up to a kitchen that looked like my college dorm room every Sunday morning. I was faced with the prospect of gathering all my beer bottles and bringing them down the the basement to put them in the recycling bin or throwing them away. I made the un-green choice. I had no socks on, It was cold....

Maybe I'll try to clean up my act this year. Good New Years resolution I guess- better that going to the gym everyday which doesn't seem to be happeing.

PopMom said...

Funny about the shower...I do feel bad running a long hot shower but if there is one thing I need it's a scalding hot shower.

I get mad when people don't break down boxes too. Especially when not only do I break them down, but I pick out all the plastic twist ties and tabs and all that other crap.

DS, not even cans and bottles? Terrible. Isn't your oldest son old enough to pay a nickel a can yet? My mom used to pay my sister and I a nickel a cigarette butt to clean up the driveway after a party. Seriously. It was a race to fill up a paper dixie cup.