*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, January 17, 2008

My New Laptop and 'Akeelah and the Bee'

I FINALLY got a new laptop. The old one was 8+ years old and was a work laptop I've just always used for personal stuff too. It was painfully slow and we finally decided it was time to get a new one for our personal use. After a good 3+ hours spent loading software and playing with it yesterday I can confirm that it was a good decision and I am officially in heaven. My new digital camera was not compatible with the old laptop, which helped clinch the decision, so I hadn't downloaded pics since Thanksgiving. There were 431 pictures on my camera that I just downloaded...I apologize in advance to those people on my monthly picture distribution list and I will try to break them up into more reasonable albums so as not to bore you to death with pics of my adorable kids over the holidays and in the Bahamas last month.

While I was working on this laptop project, I was watching the movie Akeelah and the Bee. While it was predictable, it was a really lovely movie. It helps that I enjoy Lawrence Fishburne in almost anything he does. The little girl that played Akeelah was quite engaging and since watching that Spelling Bee documentary a few years ago (excellent by the way), I was riveted to the process of watching her prepare for the Nationals. Shelagh woke up from her nap while I was watching it and I was trying to explain that the girl was really smart and could spell tons of big words and that she liked school so much. If I keep showing her these types of people and telling her how fun school is, will it guarantee that Shelagh will become a good and interested student? Just kidding, but it did cross my mind. If it happens to come on or you have room in your DVR and you'd like to see a nice feel-good family type movie, watch it.

No comments: