*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Trying to Green

Like everyone else lately, I'm trying to be a bit more green. I've always been an aggressive recycler. I went to college in Vermont and I lived in a house that had a million different bins to divide everything and that was in the early 90's - white paper, colored paper, newspaper, cans, a few different kinds of plastic, etc. I seriously think there were 7 or 8. I got used to it and have done it ever since. Our recycling gets picked up every other week and we definintely have a ton every time.

I just started using reusable grocery bags. They are actually really strong and fit a ton. 3 out of 4 times I get half-way through shopping before realizing they are still in the car and out I go with the kids to retrieve them. That's a pain. It's also a bit of a struggle to get the baggers to get the point. Why do they still wrap things in plastic and then put them in my bags? Is a thin plastic bag really going to protect my eggs and prevent them from breaking? Does a single greeting card really need an entire plastic bag to keep it pristine? Usually, I wait until they are done and then unpack all the stuff in the extra plastic bags. Now I need a solution for veggies and fruit plastic bags. I still use those since 1/2 my cart is that stuff and it would take 3 hours to check out if that stuff wasn't divided. At least I reuse them for poop diapers when I'm out.

Some other things I've implemented in the last months...1) using those energy efficient light bulbs, 2) trying to break my paper towel habit, 3) really trying not to waste food, 4) tried a CSA last year and will try a better one this year, 5) elected to have 1/2 my electricity come from renewable sources and will hopefully switch to 100% renewable (it's more expensive though).

No comments: