*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Marie Antoinette

I just watched this movie from Netflix and LOVED IT! It reminded me a bit of Moulin Rouge in that it was so beautifully presented that you almost forget what it's about. You are just following the flash and taken by everything going on. The coloration was so bright and young and flirty. The food presentation was breathtaking...it's amazing I didn't eat a huge sundae while watching (shocking actually...I was so involved I forgot to make one). The current music selection against the time period worked really well too, except for the very beginning (intro mostly). The masquerade scene in the middle was awesome - I have to see what song was playing while they were dancing. The costumes were insanely beautiful - dresses, shoes, the hair and makeup too. I went in with mixed feelings. I really enjoyed both of Sofia Coppolas other films - Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation so I was expecting it to be at least good. However, it didn't really get much kudos and I'm 50/50 on Kirsten Dunst. I think she was perfect though. I just looked SC up on IMDB and no wonder the visual was so stunning in this movie...she's done everything - director, producer, costumes/wardrobe, acting, cinematography. I watched the Making Of extra in the Special Features and that was worth watching as well. SC comes across kind of blase and snotty, but whatever...she did a good job and is 3 for 3 in my book. Anyway, it's not a chick flick really but it's certainly not a macho film. I would recommend it highly.

1 comment:

Dan said...

It's been on my radar, because I really liked her first two as well. Might now have to check it out. I like "pleasant surprise" movies, where you go in with low expectations and you end up really liking it.

One that comes to mind (which will be weird because I think it was nominated for Best Picture) is The Queen. I didn't really want to see it, but it came on and I gave it a chance. Liked it.