*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, January 14, 2008

The Wire & TV Shows on Netflix

I LOVE this show and am so happy the last season has finally started. The first 2 episodes have been great and once again I'm totally in and can't wait for each Sunday to come so I can watch it. This year is about the media and I'm already completely entrenched in the story.

I read an awesome interview with David Simon (http://www.believermag.com/issues/200708/?read=interview_simon) thanks to a link from Pop Candy last week or the week before. He seems like an intense guy. It really helped to hear about what the plan was for the whole series as opposed to thinking about it season to season. A friend of mine from work also sent me this (http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/what-do-real-thugs-think-of-the-wire/) from the New York Times. It's about a guy who watched the 1st episode with real street guys. Pretty interesting too.

I HIGHLY recommend this show to anyone that likes police dramas, heavy drama, shows with intensity, shows with excellent writing and character development (with a huge cast nonetheless), any HBO shows, etc. Some people think you can start watching from any season, but I think this is one of those shows you should really watch from the beginning. It doesn't focus on the same characters each season, but a lot of them appear from year to year and it helps to know their background and connections. This would have to be one of my favorite shows ever. And, what a great project to embark upon during this writers strike. Joe and I took a year to watch all 5 seasons of Alias last year and it was a great show and fun to watch especially during normal TV downtime like summer, pre and post sweeps weeks and over the holidays. You could whip out 1 45 minute episode on a work night or you can watch a whole disc in place of a movie on a weekend night. Yes, this is my life

No comments: