*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Thursday, January 10, 2008

My Good Eater & My Not-Good Eater

Shelagh is an awesome eater. I could give her pretty much anything I would make for Joe and I and she would eat it. I might have to urge her along, but ultimately she will try stuff and will do anything for dessert. Rory, on the other hand, is a terrible eater. Not only will he eat very few things, but he isn't consistent about it. One day he loves chicken, next day forget it. For months he wouldn't eat any pasta, rice, or potatoes. Even with dipping sauce. Even with melted cheese. Insane. I had no go-to meal for him. Plus, I refuse to make them different dinners. As it is, they eat at 6 or so and we eat later after they go to bed on week nights. If I can give them leftovers from our meal the night before, I do. Otherwise, I try to keep it pseudo-healthy and try not to fall back on the nuggets and mac & cheese too frequently.

Tonight they had roast beef from last nights meal (which came out great, I must say - I used a Tri Tip and it had just enough fat to make it flavorful but not too marbled), little star pastas with some butter and parmesean (or grown-up mac & cheese as I've convinced Shelagh), and edamames. Rory is finally eating some pasta - just this star shape - but is now off beef. He wouldn't even eat a beef hot dog the other day! The organic ones I get don't taste as good as a greasier one, but they are still pretty good and how the heck do they know the difference????

I made all of Shelaghs baby food and gave her everything under the sun. Plus, she was the 1st so I stuck with it into solid foods. They are only 19 months apart, so by the time he was eating solids, I made about 1/2 of Rory's food and definitely didn't stick with it. He used to be just as good as her. I haven't given up on him yet...he just drives me crazy. If we have another, I'm going back to making all the food and really planning it out so the variety continues longer term. I don't know if that's what did it for her, but it's worth another shot.

No comments: