*** finding the entertainment in everyday life ***

Monday, January 14, 2008

TV in General and Golden Globes, Part 2 - The TV Awards

I'm back...Turns out I still don't want to be working...

I watch a LOT of TV, but I'm okay with it b/c I feel that I'm an otherwise semi-well-rounded person. I never watch commercials so an hour show is 45 minutes and a half-hour show is 20-25 minutes. Plus, there are plenty of times when there is nothing on and I might let a show collect over time and watch it later on. I'm probably still a total loser.

There is a lot of crap on TV now-a-days. But, there are some really excellent shows out there still and I've not given up on TV yet. Some are not recognized. Some general rules about it...
  1. Any original series on HBO is worth seeing and 85% are not just good, but great shows (In case you are wondering, I didn't really love Deadwood or Carnivale and I hated Arliss)
  2. Ditto for FX original series.
  3. I think the same for Showtime might apply, but I've only watched 2 shows so far
  4. Most Network shows are just ok. It's not the lack of nudity or cursing or anything like that I don't think. I think it's the lack of originality and risk. Maybe that naturally goes hand in hand with taboo topics, but who knows.
  5. It is a travesty that Arrested Development and Freaks and Geeks got cancelled. Not relevant to the topic at hand really, but I had to get that off of my chest.

Okay, with that being said...onto the Golden Globes results for TV:

Best TV Series Drama: I don't watch House, I haven't watched Tudors or Mad Men yet but plan to shortly. I have a complete chick addiction to Greys Anatomy but can still be objective in that it has no place being nominated. It's a soap opera, people. I am thrilled to see Big Love and Damages in here. I had a slow start with Damages, but ultimately really enjoyed it. I've heard Mad Men is really great and it's replaying starting this coming Sunday so I'll hold out my opinion on this category.

Best Actress TV Drama: This is a big list of nominees and while I'm pleased to see so many cable shows on here, I'm not watching half of them. I watched Medium when it first came out and it was pretty good, but it got boring. Never seen Saving Grace or Closer. Watched the first few eps of The Riches and Minnie seemed really good, but gave up on that one. To me, this is a race b/w Edie Falco and Glenn Close and I'm happy to see GC win it. She was awesome as Patty in Damages. She was awesome on The Shield in Season 4 so I was really happy to see her get her own show on FX. We can't get enough of her acting overall. Edie Falco is really good too, but she got the GG for this either last season or the season before which included that intense episode between her and Tony when they flipped out on each other. She has also done a nice turn on 30 Rock recently I might add.

Best Actor TV Drama: Once again, haven't seen Mad Men and heard great things about it, but I really would have liked to see Michael C Hall get it for Dexter. He's got me riveted to that show.

Best TV Series Comedy: 30 Rock and Extras are both fantastic as is Entourage, but I'm happy to see this go to Extras. I didn't love Season 1, but Season 2 was hilarious. So was 30 Rock, but I think it was all the celebrity cameos (Daniel Radcliffe was priceless) that puts Extras over the edge.

Best Actor TV Comedy: How can anyone justify Alec Baldwin not getting this award? I can't say anything else about this.

Best Supporting Actor TV Series: How can anyone justify Ted Danson not getting this award? Side note...his characters name "Frobisher" just works. It's quirky and I can't stop thinking the name over and over...it rolls off the tongue. I love Jeremy Piven on Entourage too, but enough is enough...it's not a stretch for him...this is the only guy he can play (all those John Cusack movies, Cars, Smokin Aces, etc, etc)! And Kevin Dillon??? He's possibly my fave guy on that show, but mostly b/c you have to imagine he is clearly playing himself. Should he get an award for that? Side note...Could someone please interview him and find out how much of this really is his life? Or interview Matt Dillon and ask the same thing. Or interview Marky M (yum) and find out how much of this crap really happened. I don't care which. I just need to know.

That should do it for now...my list of future topics just grew ten-fold, by the way.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I think they guy who played Leon on Curb this season should win some kind of award...any award. I love Leon.

PopMom said...

Excellent point! Vivica Fox was pretty damn funny too. Loved the Black family...all in all a great edition to offset the Larry & Cheryl separation.